Basic Operation & Riding
Learning when to shift gears comes with experience. Keep the
following tips in mind:
• As a general rule, shift while moving in a straight line.
• Close the throttle completely before shifting. Improper shifting
may damage the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.
• Upshift to a higher gear or reduce throttle before engine rpm
(speed) gets too high. Learn the relationship between engine
sound and the normal shifting points.
• Downshift to a lower gear before you feel the engine laboring
(lugging) at low rpm.
• Avoid downshifting to help slow your ATV when engine rpm is
high. Downshifting when engine speed is near its allowable
maximum may over-rev the engine and possibly cause damage.
• To prevent transmission damage, do not coast or tow the ATV for
long distances with the engine off.
Recommended Shift Points
Ride in the highest gear that lets the engine run and accelerate
This will give you good fuel economy and effective emissions control.
20 TRX90X-31HP27200.book 62 ページ ２０１９年５月２８日 火曜日 午前９時５８分