Driving your vehicle
Ignition key interlock system
The ignition key cannot be removed
unless the shift lever is in the P (Park)
position. If the ignition switch is in any
other position, the key cannot be
Good driving practices
• Never move the gear shift lever from P
(Park) or N (Neutral) to any other posi-
tion with the accelerator pedal
• Never move the gear shift lever into P
(Park) when the vehicle is in motion.
• Be sure the car is completely stopped
before you attempt to shift into R
(Reverse) or D (Drive).
• Never take the car out of gear and
coast down a hill. This may be
extremely hazardous. Always leave the
car in gear when moving.
• Do not "ride" the brakes. This can
cause them to overheat and malfunc-
tion. Instead, when you are driving
down a long hill, slow down and shift to
a lower gear. When you do this, engine
braking will help slow the car.
• Slow down before shifting to a lower
gear. Otherwise, the lower gear may
not be engaged.
• Always use the parking brake. Do not
depend on placing the transaxle in P
(Park) to keep the car from moving.
• Exercise extreme caution when driving
on a slippery surface. Be especially
careful when braking, accelerating or
shifting gears. On a slippery surface,
an abrupt change in vehicle speed can
cause the drive wheels to lose traction
and the vehicle to go out of control.
• Optimum vehicle performance and
economy is obtained by smoothly
depressing and releasing the accelera-