Driving your vehicle
If the shift lever cannot be moved from
the P (Park) into R (Reverse) position
with the brake pedal depressed, continue
depressing the brake, then do the follow-
1. Carefully remove the cap covering the
shift-lock access hole.
2. Insert a key (or screwdriver) into the
access hole and press down on the
key (or screwdriver).
3. Move the shift lever.
4. Have your vehicle inspected by an
authorized Kia dealer immediately.
Ignition key interlock system
The ignition key cannot be removed
unless the shift lever is in the P (Park)
Good driving practices
• Never move the shift lever from P
(Park) or N (Neutral) to any other posi-
tion with the accelerator pedal
• Never move the shift lever into P (Park)
when the vehicle is in motion.
• Be sure the vehicle is completely
stopped before you attempt to shift into
R (Reverse) or D (Drive).
• Never take the vehicle out of gear and
coast down a hill. This may be
extremely hazardous. Always leave the
car in gear when moving.
• Do not "ride" the brakes. This can
cause them to overheat and malfunc-
tion. Instead, when you are driving
down a long hill, slow down and shift to
a lower gear. When you do this, engine
braking will help slow down the vehicle.
• Slow down before shifting to a lower
gear. Otherwise, the lower gear may
not be engaged.
• Always use the parking brake. Do not
depend on placing the transaxle in P
(Park) to keep the vehicle from moving.